Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Home Schooling Success

               Well, I have been home schooling Sagan for about a month and a half now. And so far it is going pretty good. The little man is very smart. Smarter than he lets on most times. He is catching on to everything we have covered very quickly. Which makes me feel good about the whole home schooling thing. I know the 2 of us can do this.
               We started earlier then the school year so I could test the waters, so to speak. See how he would take to the structure. The everyday or almost everyday working on school related stuff. We haven't settled into a routine, yet. Partially because I don't want to fight him on what we are going to do and when we are going to do it. He is very head strong! If it isn't his idea, he usually doesn't want to do it. But I'm working on that.
                Home schooling a preschooler is a bit different then home schooling a, let's say, 4th grader. A 4th grader can be told/shown what to do and you can leave them to their work for awhile. You can go do the dishes or do something productive that needs to be done. A preschooler, however, needs the constant attention and instruction. Needless to say, I don't get my chores and other important things done. But I am learning to adjust. I am hoping by the start of this next school year, we will have a great schedule down that works for the both of us.
                During the summer I still have to work on the "lesson plans" and curriculum. I want to make sure we are going to touch every base and then some. Right now he chooses the letter of the alphabet he wants to work on and then we put it on the board. That is our letter of the week. We are learning any, even the vowels, that he chooses. We have already covered, D, J, M,  and O.
                 He LOVES to use my iPad for learning, too. I got him about 20 apps so far and he is really getting alot out of them. They really have some great Montisourri apps. I am trying to use as many different teaching aids as I can. It helps to keep his interest and even when he doesn't want to "work" that day he always ends up learning anyway.

Working on our shapes


Beading



Drilling fun





Roll Playing




Discovering Nature





Artist at work

                 When Ayla was little she was a true sponge. She soaked up any and everything that I taught her and was ready for more. Sagan on the other hand has taken his time with everything since the day he was born. I really have to be creative sometimes to get him and keep him interested. My children are almost night and day. (I wouldn't change them for anything though.)

Finger Painting


Our little classroom


Our Classroom

These are just a few pics of some of the stuff we do and will continue to do. I am hoping we can expand and set a good schedule that will still leave us with time to volunteer at the school, run our errands, get my chores done and 
iPad app
still have lots of fun. That is one really great thing about home schooling. We can set our OWN schedule. As long as the learning gets done we can do what we want.



(This app is a Montissouri geometry app. There are alot more colorful ones on the iPad for him to play.)

4 comments:

Ms. Gaynell Juarez said...

I'm loving your classroom set-up!!

Unknown said...

That's a fantastic little classroom you have there! How fun!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

This is really, truly awesome. I could never do this with my kids. They get too frustrated. Especially, Lil'Gal. We wouldn't survive. :-P

So great!

You should find some homeschooling blogs and mommies online to hook up with and follow along with too!

Alice said...

Thank you Gaynell and Lis.

Nova, The home schooling blogs are a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I am hooking up with a few moms that are thinking of home schooling soon and will be looking for a group soon.