Thursday, April 14, 2011

Growing Up TOO Fast!

           About a month ago Ayla was playing in her room with her Barbies and insisted on having her door shut. Well, that's not too unusual, she's always fighting for privacy around here with Sagan. I walked in to ask her a question and she has several Barbies naked and a naked Ken. She has a Barbie bed out and Ken and Barbie on top of each other. I asked her in a bit of a surprised voice "What are you doing?" And right away without letting her answer, told her not to do that any more with her Barbies.


Ayla and Grandpa
            Now I know I handled the situation COMPLETELY wrong but I was shocked and SCARED to think that it is time to have "THE TALK". I mean she's ONLY 8 and a half years old! SHE'S TOO YOUNG to have the sex talk!! I thought I had a few more years to get the speech ready. What am I supposed to say to her?! I know, I know, just tell her the truth. Yeah right! That's easier said than done!!
          
            When Ayla was little I always told her the truth and talked to her like an adult. None of that "baby" talk. She was and is a very bright child. She started walking at 6 months, talking at 7 months, she knew her alphabet and the phonics by 18 months and was already reading a bit by kindergarten. But, I find lately that I'm unsure of what to tell her and how to talk to her about certain things.


My beautiful littlegirl!
 
            I believe knowledge is power but sometimes some knowledge can get us into trouble. I don't want to shorten or hinder her childhood. Right now she still believes in Santa, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. I know she won't believe for much longer but I want her to believe in magic and fairy tales for as long as she can.The kids grow up too fast these days! Why can't they just be kids as long as they can? They will be adults for so long, childhood is so short! There's enough garbage on T.V. today desensitising the kids today. I am very careful about what the kids watch on T.V. and try to be careful with what music they listen to. I know I can't shield them from everything, life is going to happen. My childhood was NOT ideal to say the least. I don't want that for my little girl! I used to be way overprotective. I have backed off a bit. Enough to allow her to go to a friends for sleepovers but the entire time I am scared to death something will happen to her!!

            How do you tell an 8 and a half year old about sex??!! And what is that going to do to her psyche?? Her youth?? UUGH!! 
            I know I have to approach her and have the discussion soon. She NEEDS to know the facts and the truth before her friends confuse and scare her completely. Why does parenting have to be soo hard?!! What and How am I going to tell my little girl??!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My oldest is 11. Believe me, I feel your pain. I think the trick is to NOT overwhelm them with too much information all at once. Give them little bits here and there. The fact of the matter is, though, you have to have the talk. Give her the facts before she gets the wrong information from someone else. And trust me, she probably already knows a lot more than you think she does. Finally, you're not going to rob her of her childhood by informing her. You don't need ti divulge the nitty-gritty. Just the basic facts.

Alice said...

Thank you Lis, I know your right. I still don't quite know how I'm going to do it yet, but I will keep all your advice in the front of my mind when planning my strategy and "speech". Man this is soo HARD!!
How did it go with your oldest?? Or have you had the tal yet?

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

ACK! After shopping yesterday I had my own conversation in my head saying that I could probably put this off a few years longer. You know, at least until she turns ten.

I say turn your head (or put it in the sand) with the Barbie thing. Okay, that's actually not the correct approach. But, I'm afraid with MY Lil'Gal that knowledge IS power and she already strikes me as one of those to follow her curiosity.
Me ---> scaw-erd.

I do explain (away) to her when she questions something (like she sees an actress on TV feigning childbirth) and wonders how does the baby get out of the tummy and "I know it comes out of some place down there." Me, knees trembling.

To which I reply, "It will make sense to you when you reach puberty; at which time we will discuss it. For now, it is too confusing."

Let me know how it goes and 'how far you go' with the 'convo'.

Alice said...

Well, ignoring it is not an option. I plan on having the talks (both womanly and sex) on the day before her 9th birthday this coming September. I just hope I am ready for how our relationship is going to change and how she might change. I'm crossing my fingers all goes well.