Thursday, April 7, 2011

Organize Your Closet and Wear Your Clothes!

                 How many of us wear every single item in our closets? Probably not very many of us. Well, I haven't yet but I wear a lot more then I use to. And I plan on wearing everything in the near future. Because recently I revamped my wardrobe.
                For years I would go to my closet to get something to wear and an hour later half the contents would be lying on the bed or scattered on the floor and I would be left feeling completely defeated and miserable. Or, just end up throwing on jeans, a t-shirt and tennies just to get it all over with and skip the frustration. I want to open my closet be inspired and be able to just pull something out that fits, looks good and makes me feel good.

                I finally got so fed up with it all that I decided it was time to take action. SO, I took the plunge and purged my entire wardrobe. From jeans, slacks, skirts and blouses to belts, purses and shoes. Even jewelry. Anything that I didn't wear on a regular basis I tried on and checked for fit, comfort and style. I had to find out why I wasn't wearing these items. Then I checked everything that was left for any rips, tears, holes, missing buttons, messed up zippers, etc. I also got rid of any (well at least most) of my frumpy grubby clothes. I kept a few for serious house cleaning and painting. And that means I got rid of all the Teeny Bopper T's. Oh, And I took out ALL the pieces that I keep thinking I'll get back into one day. I didn't get rid of them yet, but put them in a bin at the top of my closet and gave myself 6 months to get back to that size. If I don't, no big deal I'll just donate. This way they aren't mocking me every time I open my closet. ONLY THINGS THAT FIT GO BACK IN!
             
            As for shoes, I tried on every pair and again checked for fit, comfort and style. I ended up letting go of a lot of shoes I really liked but never wore. Did you know, that the average woman has around 40 pairs of shoes but only wears 3-4 pairs of those shoes?! We buy the shoes because we like them, so why aren't we wearing them? For me it's a fit problem. I shop with the children who distract, rush and frustrate me so I end up with shoes that I think fit comfortably but actually don't. They pinch a toe or hurt a heel so I never wear them and just leave them in the closet not wanting to admit that I just wasted money on another pair of shoes I can't wear. I keep all my shoes in boxes to help with the storage issue. It does help with keeping the shoes dust free but if I had the space it would be better to have the shoes out so I could see all that I have.

         When putting everything back into the closet and on the shelves I organized the items by color. It really makes it so much easier to find what I am looking for. I also organized by type - Jackets with jackets, skirts with skirts, etc. To help with my space issue and to save the shape of my sweaters, jeans and slacks, I folded them and put them on shelves. It's awful to put on a sweater that has ears on your shoulders from the hanger.

          A lot of my jewelry is out see I can see it. Hanging on thick hooks or pegs to protect the chains and not put too much stress on them. I am still working on a dispaly system for bracelets. I wear a lot more of my jewelry then when it was all tucked away.


           Yes, it took me a while and am still finding a piece here and a piece there that I can get rid of and replace with something much better. But in the long run, I have found it so much more enjoyable to get dressed in the morning. I don't feel so stressed out and rushed in the mornings and actually have time to do my hair and put on a little make-up (usually). I definitely feel more presentable and my husband is loving not only the way I look but also my better moods.



8 comments:

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Great post! I shared it with my FB friends! ;-)

Um, my Twilight Teenie Bop T's aren't going anywhere until the fabric is so worn that I'd be illegal to wear them outside the house. :-P

Alice said...

Hey, who said anything about Twilight being teeny bopper?!?

Unknown said...

The average woman has 40 pairs of shoes? Whoa! I have maybe a quarter of that, and that's counting my muck boots and snow boots. Incidentally, my snow boots are what get the most wear. Depressing, but true.

As for clothes, my wardrobe is seriously lacking. My husband and children have more clothes than I! I am definitely a jeans-and-sweater type girl. And jewelry . . . my wedding ring is usually the only thing I wear.

I know. I'm boring. LOL!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Lis, you only have about four months out of the year to be 'exposed'. Down here we have a solid nine. Then, we gripe about the three months of winter. :-P

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Alice, so my Twilight T-Shirts are still fashionable?
[Hubby disagrees.]

Alice said...

FW, Do you really want me to answer that? ;-)

Sondrae Bennett said...

I purged my closet a little while ago, too, and it's such a good feeling! Just having that little bit of organization first thing in the morning, makes my whole life feel more organized.

Alice said...

Sondrae, Thanks for stopping by. I totally agree. Organization feels good!:-)